Experiment for Effect! The Cabintech Experimenters Effects (CEfx, "see-fex") modules are specifically built
with the experimenter, educator, self-learner, and hobbyist in mind. Designed in collaboration with Jim MacArthur at
the Harvard University Electronic Instrument Design Lab, each module is designed to work in a solderless breadboard
environment giving you the ultimate flexibility to add your own circuits, tear
down and rebuild something new at any time.
These modules supply the basic building blocks
of modular synthesizers and/or effects systems. By using the breadboard as a platform you
can mix in your own circuits, modify them, and experiment with virtually any idea. Mix and match as your interest takes you,
build, rebuild, and change it around at any time.
provide a path to a more permanent implementation as a eurorack module or guitar effects
pedal if you want to turn your experiment into a permanent addition to your music system. It is all
about flexibility and an experimental circuits platform centered around basic synth functions
and audio effects blocks.
All CEfx modules share some common ideas:
- Direct plug-in to most standard solderless breadboard systems with 4 shared power rails (see CEfx Breadboards).
- Compatible with strip boards and perfboards for soldered experiments.
- Most modules use +12V, -12V and +5V power. The CEfx power module can be used to supply power to multiple modules on a one or two breadboards.
For more power options, see Powering CEfx Modules.
- Easily adapted to eurorack systems with our eurorack power adapter and your own faceplate.
- Two divots on the left and right edges allow the module to be mounted to a base on standoffs. For more mounting options, see CEfx Mounting Options.
- Comes completely assembled and tested so you can start experimenting with your own circuits right away.
- Full schematics and technical design notes are available so you can learn how the module works.
Just getting started? See our CEfx Starter Kit for everything you need at significant savings.
More CEfx Information
Powering CEfx Modules
CEfx Mounting Options
Discount for Educators
Many of these modules are currently in use at Harvard University and other schools for classes in electronic instruments, acoustics, and other subjects. We offer a 20% discount
to educational institutions that purchase 5 or more modules for classroom or lab use. Contact us for educational discount information.
Our future plans include a programmable digital effects module, 2 channel mixer, guitar modules, and more! We are also
exploring the possibility of making some of the CEfx modules in kit form with through-hole components for easy
soldering and assembly. Follow our Facebook page for announements!
CEfx Modules and Accessories